Thursday, April 12, 2012

Power week....

I thought the rest of my Monday would be uneventful, but no...

When I got back to my desk after visiting the potential patternmaker/samplemaker, I get a call from a head hunter. I suggested meeting the following day, but he misunderstood and thought I meant that night - I had some time before Zumba class so I went to meet him. We talked and talked, the job would be with a good company, managerial level, but the base salary is less than I currently make, which doesn't fly with me. During our conversation he said he worked in womenswear for 30 years but when the stores started asking for Margin money at the end of a season it was time for him to get out...

So, after we get all the nitty gritty out about the position he wants to submit my resume for - I say "well you know I'm currently creating a line of women's clothing" he sits back and says, really - tell me about it. So I go into my concept, my niche, fabrication - how I've worked for over 10 fashion companies and for me, it was all cataloguing their strengths and weaknesses, supply chain, etc., planning, etc., customer feedback, negotiating, learning the jargon. Then I say, I'm under no illusions that its going to be glamorous fun and games all day everyday. I know that the market is volatile and fickle, clients/customers are the same - but it's what I love the industry, it's exactly where I've always seen myself...He starts telling me about which accounts he sold to: Bergdorf Goodman, Bloomingdale's, Nordstrom - the higher end of the spectrum. I say what was the name of the line, I must have heard of it,. He tells me and sure enough, I remember the brand and bought a really cute cream dress and wore it to an assembly I went to...

So, he leans back in his chair, smiles and says you know what, it sounds like you have something there, I'd like to be one of your advisors...You're absolutely nuts and the landscape has changed so much, but I'll help you out where I can. And I say I know the landscape has changed, but I'm not from the time of the previous landscape - now is the time to try something which would seem revolutionary and the reward is limitless!! We walk out of the building together and he gets a cab and lets me know he'll send my resume to the other company and to email me the list of patternmakers I'm thinking of going with...

Tuesday, which is usually a busy day of meetings at my job!! He calls me in the afternoon and asks if I'm still sending over the list...I say yes but I'm heading into a meeting and he says also I wanted to know if you want to get drinks tonight? All sorts of bells and alarms start sounding off - but surely I must be overreacting!!  was planning on going for a run that evening - but my cycle was just starting and made me feel like hibernating in a cave, so I said sure we can do that. Go to the meeting, it wasn't as boring as usual, and ended within an hour which was great...

Cut to me arriving at the restaurant forr drinks and we talked about my idea in more depth for some time. Then, the conversation takes on a more personal tone, where from?  age? He says "Oh at least I'm not 2x your age" (yeah, you're only shy of being 2x my age by a few years). Me: you're  married and this is my year off from men and don't take that as a challenge, it isn't...it's just a fact. I end up having 3 glasses of wine, which is a lot for me. We were there for an hour tops, he calls a car service and says 2 stops - I say no I'm walking home, need the exercise and fresh air..him: oh I thought we could make out in the car. Me: The most doubtful, when pigs fly and when peace in the middle east occurrs, look on my face..."no, thank you"...

Cut to Wednesday when I relate this to my therapist and we're just surprised but not surprised as this is one of those folklore, legendary stories which I will retell and get a huge kick out of...

Ok, off to see more patternmakers....stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment