Monday, April 9, 2012

No Illusions....

Working in the fashion industry for 13+ years I have no illusions how unglamorous parts of the industry can be. But initially when I vocalized and visualized my brand, all I could see were the end results and the most glamorous of times! If you ever want to give someone a reality check on the fashion industry, take them to 38th and 39th streets in Manhattan between 7th and 8th Avesin Manhattan. That's where I was on my lunch break today, meeting with potential patternmakers.

I first went to the wrong block and walked into a couple of fabric stores (which I will need to visit soon enough). The 1st store, not so bad, a gentleman told me he never heard of the building number I was looking for..turns up I overshot my target street by 1 block. I walk back up 1 block and find the building I'm looking for. Go in, press the floor number, the elevator opens up onto a makeshift mini factory...Gone is the woman who I had met at an FIT forum of patternmakers, manufacturers and designers was a pleasant, engaging, somewhat friendly female. She was replaced by a woman who was spitting out details that I'd need, more specificity, how many inches, length of sleeve, length of neck, waist, hips, thighs - the more specific the better, turnaround time of 1-2 weeks, more or less depending on how specific I am and how many times they have to stop, call and ask me a question and restart, on and on...

I get that it's Monday and most of us are sooo disappointed that the weekend, was a a fantasy life (one where instead of work we sleep in an extra hour, get errands done, leisurely catch up with friends and family if that is our desire, have time to read or go to the park and ponder the meaning of life) and that we do have to work at the same mundane job we've been doing for years (which could be the reason I've changed companies a few times over). But hey I had to drag myself to work also, but maybe she didn't get that...

I look at the address of another patternmaker and go visit him. There's a storefront downstairs which I walk into and a surly foreign woman who speaks/understands little to no english tells me no, that's not here...I walk into the building with the same address and he lets me know they moved across the street, I go up to the new offices and they're out so I made an appointment to come back the next day...

I get back to my desk and I'm a little hot and have a few minutes until my hour is up with which I use to write this entry. And with that back I go, to analyzing how someone else's business can be more profitable - for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment